Advertising

Tuesday, August 7, 2007 - Page updated at 12:00 AM

E-mail article     Print

Online-only Letters

I've got the blues

Angels a sobering reminder

Am I the only one who wishes the Blue Angels would leave before they arrive for Seafair? ["I-90 bridge to close for Blue Angels," Times, Local News, July 31.]

Whenever they streak across our beautiful August sky, their roaring engines rupture the peace and tranquility of our Pacific Northwest summer. While I understand that the aviation industry and the military are important sources of pride for many people in our area, I can't help but think about what the same roar of fighter jets must sound like to the citizens of Iraq and Afghanistan. The Blue Angels may proudly symbolize our nation's technical prowess and skill, but their overhead flights should also remind of us the war our country is waging half a world away.

Perhaps each time those engines roar and growl above our beautiful, peaceful city, we should reflect upon that fact and consider its consequences.

-- Chris Featherman, Seattle

Unstable infrastructure

Northwest needs to get moving

It has been six and a half years since the Nisqually earthquake damaged the Alaskan Way Viaduct, yet this city and state's lazy, feckless political leaders are no closer to moving on a replacement.

How long must this go on? Are these people waiting for dozens, or maybe hundreds, of deaths before they'll do what we pay them to do, which is to make a decision and get moving?

-- Charles Pluckhahn, Seattle

...and so does the rest of the country

When reading about the tragedy on the bridge in Minnesota I couldn't help but wonder if all the "deferred" maintenance that has been piling up in this country was a causing factor ["Suddenly the bridge 'just disappeared,'." page one, Aug. 2].

It isn't just bridges, either. Other critical parts of our society have been neglected, from our water-delivery systems and wastewater-treatment plants, to dilapidated and overcrowded schools. We can't continue to live off the investments made 50-plus years ago. Something needs to be done now.

-- Samuel H. White, Redmond

Calling their bluff

Rooting out the truth

Alex Alben's "Debunking flights of fancy that hover over 9/11" [guest commentary, July 26] claims to desire a commitment to the truth without actually providing any truth himself.

The truth is, fewer and fewer people believe the government's official explanation of the events on 9/11. According to polls taken by Angus Reid Global Monitor, only 16 percent of respondents think the government is telling the truth about what it knew prior to the terrorist attacks. So 84 percent believe the government is lying about 9/11, hardly a small band of misfits.

The truth behind the Pentagon attack is then-Secretary of Transportation Norman Mineta testified under oath that Dick Cheney was aware of an object flying toward the Pentagon. There were many cameras that filmed the scene at the Pentagon, but these videos were confiscated by the FBI. The crash investigation at the Pentagon was taken over by Alberto Gonzales' FBI, and Gonzales has yet to tell the truth about anything.

Until this administration is forced to testify under oath about what happened on 9/11, the full truth will never be known.

-- Richard Borkowski, Bellevue

Too much unanswered

It is precisely because I asked the question "how do you know that to be true, " as suggested by Alex Alben, that I have come to doubt the official theory of the events of 9/11. This does not mean that I support an alternate hypothesis, only that there are simply too many important unanswered questions:

Why does the FBI omit any mention of 9/11 crimes on its "most wanted" poster of Osama bin Laden?

What was unique about the World Trade Center towers that caused them to collapse, whereas no other steel-framed building had ever collapsed due to fire before or since?

Why was WTC building 7 not even mentioned in the 9/11 commission report?

What caused WTC building 7, which was not hit by a plane, to collapse the way it did?

We need a new, thorough, independent investigation!

-- Phil Tompkins, Issaquah

Something to think about

Back in the'70s I was a reserve deputy for the King County Police. I was one of the first to respond to a train collision in South Park. No explosives were involved. When I saw the wreckage, I was amazed to see that a 2½-inch solid steel boiler plate had melted and rehardened after impact. Just the tremendous force of the collision had transferred its energy to the metal and caused it to melt.

Something for the 9/11 doubters to ponder.

-- Luke Warfield, Burien

Critical separation

Pharmacists trying to blur the line

At a time when religious zealots are circumventing the globe with a "my way or die" attitude, I find solace, safety and security in the wisdom of our forefathers and our heritage of the separation of church and state.

It is a dangerous and troublesome precedent that these pharmacists seek with their lawsuit ["Plan B rule sparks lawsuit," Local News, July 27].

When will a "morally conscious and religious" pharmacist choose to deny prescription medication for birth control, weight loss, personality disorders, addiction recovery or any other drug they find morally reprehensible?

Just as I honor another person's right to their own belief system, I expect the same in return. How dare any of these pharmacists tell me or anyone else that they own the moral high ground and have the right to interfere and inconvenience the legal health choices of the customers they serve.

Apparently, their pious stance requires that they obey the law or find another way to make a living, which translates to me that money trumps hallowed righteousness and diminishes their "more-moral-than-you" high ground.

-- Susan Ward, Poulsbo

Cleaning up the White House

Lies and liars

Regarding "Problem with testimony dates back to Texas days," [News, July 30] on Alberto Gonzales, I find it interesting that nowhere in this story do the words lie, liar or lying appear.

Why so evasive? Our attorney general is a liar. His boss is a liar. That's the point of this story, so why dance around the truth?

Just confirm what most of us already know: Our top leadership is infested with self-serving liars.

We elected them. We messed up. Now it's time to clean house.

But instead of cutting to the heart of the matter, I'm reading big, descriptive words like "prevaricating," "forgetting" and "pathological" to describe a man known as a "slippery fellow."

I don't know about you, but I'm done with this dance around the truth. Just tell it like it is.

-- Wen Davis, Kenmore

Tribal loyalty

We need some self-examination

Readers' reactions to Floyd McKay's commentary give us hints as to why we as a species are still engaged in war. ["This conflict's too tricky for ham-handed Bush team," guest commentary, July 25.]

Our morality system is based on tribal loyalty, even in the "civilized" West. We are capable of explaining anything our tribe does. We invade and occupy other countries in the name of self-defense, and we kill other people's children in the name of self-defense, in spite our efforts to avoid it. When we settle other's land, it is at worst a bad judgment, but not morally reprehensible.

Are we capable of looking in the moral mirror?

-- Roman Budzianowski, Seattle

A walk in the park

... in my own city

Your editorial appeal for supporting King County parks by voting on tax propositions was not compelling for me ["A reluctant yes, twice" editorial, July 29].

I live in Redmond, where we have Redmond Proposition 2, seeking support for city parks. It feels natural to support a tax increase to support parks in my city before supporting King County parks.

Naturally, taxpayers want to know how the money raised will be spent on parks. Taxpayers have a significant tax bill that is cumulative for schools, hospitals, city, county and state operations.

King County has a huge number of parks, but as operations are transferred to cities, the need for county taxes supporting parks should be reduced. King County and the city of Enumclaw completed an agreement to transfer the King County Fairgrounds and four nearby county-owned parcels of land to Enumclaw. The transaction included $2 million in county funds to help transform the properties into a major tourist attraction. The move is expected to provide a major catalyst for economic development on the Enumclaw Plateau.

-- Richard Morris, Redmond

Copyright © 2007 The Seattle Times Company

advertising

Get home delivery today!

Advertising

Advertising